Its been fun guys...
Using the Write.as platform has been a lot of fun, and the distraction-free approach is something I love. However right now, I feel there are some key features which just aren't quite there yet. Features that are pretty native and built-in on other platforms. Whilst working with other users to come up with work-arounds or learning new tricks with CSS, Java and HTML has been quite rewarding, it hasnt always been the simplest answer for what I'm looking for right now.
A few key things for me..
- A proper section for draft posts is sorely needed, rather than having to publish as anonymous posts. Especially as moving them back over to your site when published breaks the emails to subscribers.
- Native embedding tools, rather than having to add various media sites's scripts to your Custom Java each time.
- Alignment tools for justifying / centering / formatting your content
- Proper mobile and app support for writing posts to your blog / site – this is a pretty big one for me. It was a real shame to install the write.as app only to learn that it only allowed for anonymous posting.
- A native commenting system would be really nice, with an option to turn on and off.
After much consideration, I have decided to move my blog to Wordpress.com. It might not suit everyone, but the new blocks-based writing editor they have is super clean, and has so many tools out of the gate.
I will continue to watch the development of Write.as, as I think with more time and additional features the platform can be truly a great experience (and for many others I know it already is). I wish the team all the best.
If anyone has enjoyed the nonsense I write about, you can now catch me over at digitalgyoza.com